Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Cat Ate My Gymsuit

By Paula Danziger
★★★★★

Now, it's a break time but I didn't have any special events to do so I read a lot of books. I read 2 Korean books and 2 English books and right now, I am reading my fifth book called "The invention of the Hugo Cabret". Above all these five books, I would like to write about a book called "My Cat Ate My Gymsuit" by Paula Danziger.

This story is about the main character named Marcy Lewis who was a high schooler. She was fat and thought she was a blimp. She was shy, didn't speak very much, and wasn't brave enough. She hated her father because he always opposed with her ideas. She also hated a school because her teacher was stupid. Marcy always thought that everything was boring and she was a blimp. But then a new English teacher called Ms. Finney came soon and changed Marcy's whole life. Ms. Finney was willing to try anything in the classroom and she treated the kids like human beings unlike most other teachers. Marcy was very liked her but one day, Ms. Finney got suspended because she didn't say the Pledge of Allegiance, dressed strangely, and her teaching was not traditional. While Marcy was trying to help her, she got courage, made lots of friends, speaked her opinions clearly even to the principal and because of that, she got suspended.

My best part of this book was: After Marcy and her boyfriend called Joel went to one of her friends party called Nancy, they walked together to Marcy's house. While they were walking, she asked Joel if he liked to drink beer and he said yes. Then he asked her if she liked beer. She said no so he asked why she drank beer at the party. She replied it was because everyone was drinking it so she didn't want to be different. Then Joel said that Ms. Finney was different and she was very special. So Marcy realized that she was wrong.
From what Joel had said, I got an important lesson. It was that people can be different and still be happy and special. Some day, if I became different, I won't try to do the same things like other people do because it can be right what I'm doing.

I enjoyed reading this book because this book encouraged me.

No comments: