Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Orangutans to be endangered

I was reading a newspaper and I found an interesting article. It was about an endangered animal, 'Orangutans'. This article made me interesting because I heard the population of orangutans are decreasing fast and I wanted to know if it is true.
According to this newspaper, the number of orangutans have sharply decreased. Researchers at the Great Ape Trust in Iowa said unless immediate action is taken, they could become the great ape species to extinct.
In Indonesia and Malaysia, where orangutans still live in the wild, their population has declined significantly since 2004 because of illegal logging and the expansion of palm oil plantations.
In Sumatra Island, the number of orangutans decreased almost 14% since 2004. And it is also found that the population of orangutans in Borneo decreased about 10% since 2004.
The Center for Orangutan Protection said there were 31,300 of them in 2004 while nowaday, we have only 20,000 of them remain in the tropical jungle of Central Kalimantan on Borneo Island. Based on this estimate, there will be no orangutans left by 2011.
I was surprised and sad by this news because if the population of orangutans keep decrease so fast like this, the estimate will be correct and that means I can only see them for only 2 years!!! If I can do something to help them, I am willing to do it because it's for them, me and environment.

No comments: